New Year Resolution: Regular Maintenance of Your Heating and AC System
Climatic want to suggest regular maintenance for your heat and air system as your New Year’s Resolution.
Regular HVAC maintenance done by you and a trained HVAC professional is vital for extending the life of your heating and cooling systems, keeping your utility bills under control, and maintaining a comfortable indoor environment.
Here are some routine maintenance tips.
- Check the air filter in your furnace or fan coil every three to four weeks. A dirty filter will cause excessive strain on your furnace, air conditioner or heat pump. Replace your filter when necessary, or clean it if you have the reusable type. If you are experiencing excessive dust in your home, change your filter every two-weeks until the dust is under control.
- Clean dust off of your indoor coil. With a vacuum cleaner and soft-brush attachment, you can remove any dust from the top and underside of the coil. Make sure you only do this when the coil is dry. If you can’t get the coil clean this way, call us for service.
- Keep your outdoor condensing unit free of debris. If you keep grass clippings, leaves, shrubbery and debris away from your outdoor unit, it should only require minimal care to operate properly. Check the base pan (under the unit) occasionally and remove debris, to help the unit drain correctly. If the outdoor coil becomes dirty, use a brush or a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush attachment to clean the surface. To clean dirt that is deep in the coil, contact a professional at Climatic.
- Make sure your outdoor unit stays in a level position. If the support for your split-system outdoor unit shifts or settles and the unit is no longer level, re-level it promptly to make sure moisture drains properly out of the unit. If you notice that water or ice collects beneath the unit, arrange for it to be drained away from the equipment.
- Inspect your furnace’s combustion area and vent system before each heating season. If you find dirt, soot or rust, your system may not operate properly or at its peak efficiency. Call Climatic and do not operate your furnace until it is professionally inspected and/or repaired.
- Have oil-fired boilers inspected annually. If you haven’t already had annual service, call Climatic to replace your oil filter cartridge and conduct a thorough inspection of the unit’s operation.
- Clean your humidifier every heating season. Review your owner’s manual for the proper procedure to clean the external and internal components of your unit. The evaporator pad should also be replaced each heating season. If the water in your area is hard or has high mineral content, you may need to clean or service your humidifier more frequently.
Climatic offers a preferred service agreement to help you with your routine maintenance needs and monitor your system to prevent large repairs. Call Climatic today to schedule your annual HVAC maintenance.